Saturday, December 27, 2014

Kimchi Soup




All the "How to Make Your Blog Better" tips said I should post often. Remember me saying that on my Blog for a Dummi post? And, also, remember me saying I didn't have that much to say? That still stands true. So, I decided to post a recipe. If I don't have anything to say that will warm your heart or make you laugh, I can at least help you warm your belly. This recipe will do that. And, set your mouth on fire if you want.

I love kimchi. It's a Korean dish of fermented cabbage which I know sounds grody but it's great. Crunchy, spicy, garlicky...fantastic. And, super good for you. It's packed with vitamins, probiotics, has anti-aging and anti cancer properties. Look the stuff up. It's awesome. A WORD OF WARNING: It packs a punch. If you don't handle spicy foods well, go easy on the stuff. And, wash your hands after handling it. You can find it in the refrigerated section of grocery stores, usually around tofu. 

Ok, here's a recipe I've made and love. It's the lazy woman's version. No need to cook down pork yadda yadda. Just grab a box of chicken broth. If you want it vegetarian/vegan, I don't know what to tell ya. If you've had for real kimchi soup, this will pale in comparison BUT it ain't a bad fix and it's cheap!

Kimchi Soup

5 cups (32 oz) chicken broth
16 oz jar kimchi - liquid too (Remember, wash your hands after handling and if you have a sensitive tummy, start with half a jar or less.)
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp fish sauce
8 oz firm tofu - drained cut into small cubes
Glass noodles aka bean thread or whatever noodle you want. - cook per directions. I don't like egg noodles or regular semolina noodles in the soup. But, that's just me. To each his own. 

Put broth, kimchi, tofu (yes, I boil the tofu if it's firm tofu), ginger and fish sauce in a pot. Bring to boil. Don't let it boil too long. The steam can bother your eyes.  Turn off heat. Cook noodles per directions, throw how ever many you want in your bowl and put soup on top. Salt to taste. That's it. Done. Yum. Enjoy. You're welcome. Change it up all you want.
I'll admit, it looks like what's left at the bottom of a
sink after washing a ton of dishes. A lot of Koren food
does. But, I love it. My husband and I used to get
take out from this one place so much (Virginia) that
the ladies that worked there were some of the first to
know I was pregnant. Parents, siblings, Korean ladies,
then the rest of the world knew. I didn't even tell
them by the way. I just walked in to pick up the order and
they said, "Oh, look at you! You 'preganate!'" 



No comments:

Post a Comment