Thursday, March 5, 2015

Lent - Day 12 Me and Conscious Uncoupling

Ok, ok, already! Here's my update. I've been loathe to do it because in comparison to my compadre who is giving up a 22 year habit of smoking, giving up sugar is rather painless. Rather painless. Not completely.

How I thought I'd look after giving up sugar
minus standing on the back of a baby angel.
Unless that just came with it, then I'd be
all for it.
I was full on addicted to sugar. I see that now. I've added in agave for coffee, but that's it. My body has finally given up the worst of the physical effects. I'm no longer dizzy. But, I'm still hungry quite a bit.

I was hoping to see a massive difference in my skin, maybe an aura not unlike the Virgin of Guadalupe. (Patron Saint of Mexico and quite the local vendor of tacos.) No such luck. I was also hoping to have an increase in energy, maybe gain a few magical powers. But, as with the aura, it's not happening. 

 Mentally, I'm just irritated. It irritates me to see cookies, chocolates, and flavored yogurt lying around. (Yes, I have yogurt just lying around. Doesn't everyone?) I did mess up and eat a massive bowl of Jell-O. For some reason, I didn't think of it as a dessert. It's sort of an in between thing as much categorically as it is in consistency. Anything you can have while you are sick with a stomach flu can't be considered a dessert out right. Right? Oh, I also had a massive bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats - 3 times. Not sure how I justified that with my "conscious uncoupling" with sugar. (Conscious uncoupling was the term a celebrity couple used when they split. As opposed to unconscious coupling which may have been how they got to together in the first place. It's a ridiculous and pretentious phrase and I have been looking for a way to use it. And, so I have. That's another off the bucket list.) But, I justify eating all that sugar and fiber, I did. Rest assured, I regretted all three bowls the next day. (Yes, I ate 3 bowl in one day - don't judge me) 

I'm not even sure where the bar
should be here. It's all so, so
seductive. Darn you, FAGE
and your naked goodness!!!!
Also, I ate some Fage yogurt that has the little thing of fruit attached to it. I was almost done when I looked at the ingredients of the fruit: cherries, sugar. Great. Is there no reprieve? I feel weird every time I open the fridge and see it. Kinda like on Survivor, when one Survivor decides to walk around naked - there's always one - and every other clothed being has to talk to them so they keep insanely intense eye contact for fear they will look at the naked person's blurred out places. It's awkward. That's how I feel with the Fage. I can't look at it. I want to. It's there, begging me to look. I wish I could figure out a way to blur it out or put a black "concerned" bar over it. That's what my son called it once. He meant "censored." But, "concerned" really works better most of the time.

Until the next check in...


No comments:

Post a Comment