Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Lent Day 7 - Cracking! Sort of...

In case you're just now joining the show, my friend Jacqueline and I have been blogging our struggles with what we have given up for Lent. She gave up smoking. I gave up sugar.

It's been tough for Jacqueline. She's been smoking for 22 years, which means she's smoked for longer than she hasn't. I work out with her, I grapple with her (wrestle) and I would have never known she smoked if she hadn't told me. I've never heard her cough or smelled it on her clothes, skin or hair. She's an anomaly to the stereotype.

She had a rough day on Saturday and avoided saying it in the video, instead calling the day "crackin'" meaning great. Yesterday, she sent me a penance letter of sorts, a very "forgive me sister, for I have sinned," avowal. I didn't post it thinking she would talk about it. But, she didn't and I will leave it be. Rest assured, it's tough for her and I think she's pretty brave to blog her efforts.

As with the last video, we're just off the mat from a tough Muay Thai style kickboxing workout. We're tired and sans make-up. I think we still look pretty good... 

Our camera woman, "Mad Maddie," says that in the UK, there is no "off" day. However, as she is surrounded by heathens here in the US, she decided to go all heretical and have chocolate on Sunday. That's why she says, "when in Rome." 







Shortly after this video, during jiujitsu, I kind of bottomed out. I got a headache and was light headed, the way you feel when you haven't eaten. But, I had eaten just not sugar. My avoidance isn't just with cookies, it's any type of processed sugar. Our coach told me to get a fitness drink. It was sweetened with agave and helped some. Still, I feel cloudy headed. I would say it's something else, allergies or the ilk. But, Sunday, the "off" day, I machine gunned cookies and felt great. I still felt great on Monday. Today, that high apparently wore off.

In self defense, as well as MMA and BJJ, I was taught that when you grab someone's wrist, you give them control. Seems so contrary to reason, but it's true. If you take hold of my wrist, you're just as bound to me if not more since you have one option: hang on.  Me? I can fall and go limp and make it much harder for you to pull me, if that's your goal. I also have the option of using the force of your pull, your momentum, and pushing you down. And, if you refuse to let go, I can twist my wrist around quickly and break yours. What you hold, has infinitely more options that you. You? You're just holding.

So, if you ever find yourself hopelessly attached to something, remember that it can only hold onto you as long as you allow. If it has you by the wrist, you are still in control. Twist free. It's gonna smart, leave your skin red and sore. But, that's the thing about change: it hurts. If it doesn't, it's probably not that much of a change. 

Until next time...

Isaiah 41:13 "I am the Lord Who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, 'Don't be afraid. I'm here to help.'"   

No comments:

Post a Comment